Pages

Thursday, July 11, 2019

 And just like that it's July.



Revisions on my manuscript are very nearly done. Meanwhile, I followed my mentor's advice and sent a sample off to a literary agent that she recommended. Whatever happens next is in the hands of the Unseen.

Some 20-25 years ago, after I'd written 3 novels while holding down a full-time job as a magazine writer/editor, I sent out queries all over the place, more than 100. The replies I got were soul-shattering but I persisted and one well-known publisher almost published my second novel. At the 11th hour, they pulled out due to funds. Since I had already worked for a book publisher and the slush pile was one of my responsibilities, I knew better than to give in. I was also glad that I had been kind and diplomatic when writing rejection letters.

I knew what I was capable of and no amount of rejection would change that. But there came the time when I was exhausted and I turned to art making. It saved me.

Fast forward to last year, and this wonderful (and competent authority on publishing) came into my life and talked me into resurrecting one of my manuscripts. For that alone, I'm grateful.




Simplicity is the removal of the useless and the unnecessary--source unknown

2 comments:

  1. I’m hoping that this is your time Colette and I’m very much looking forward to reading your book once it’s published. How wonderful that someone has given you the confidence to take up your pen once more xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. A few days ago I discovered your blog. Superblog! I'm currently getting too much inspiration;).

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. I really appreciate each and every one of you.