Pages

Monday, March 30, 2009

Details


God is in the details, goes the old saying. I always look for the details; my eye tends to crop what I see.

I love details, and I love the unfinished. The secret to the "unfinished" is balance: There's a portrait in Versailles of the young Napoleon Bonaparte by the artist David, which is unfinished. I first saw it on a school day trip when I was 16, and fell in love with it. I thought it was perfect just as it was, and that had David finished it, I wouldn't have liked it so much. I think it's because you can feel the hand of the artist, his spirit, a footprint in time. Why he didn't finish the portrait I don't know, and I never cared enough to find out. In my eyes, it was perfect...

7 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:44 p.m.

    .......and your balance is perfect Colette!...Another little masterpiece, it is very, very lovely...I love the way you make us stretch our imaginations...by teasing us with a little glimpse!

    Anon the Elder.....OXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love your thoughts..and i love details as well. it is critical to me.
    xoxo nita <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. We went to Versailles last summer and really didn't have enough time there at all- only three hours or so. I hope I get to go back there someday. I want to put a huge ballgown on and run through the corridors! I have a story composting in my brain from the spirit of that place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. THe little house is cute . Did you create it from paper? It looks dimensional.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pam, I made the little house with Sculpey!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So lovely!!! Like it a lot:o).

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really love your work and your words. You inspire me!!

    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. I really appreciate each and every one of you.