Pages

Saturday, April 29, 2006

Lavender


In my childhood, I visited the Berengaria Hotel high up in the mountains of the island of Cyprus in that magical sea known as the Mediterranean. The path that led to the entrance of the hotel was flanked with huge flowering lavender bushes which, combined with the wild sage and oregano that grew all around, produced a heady perfume. The image, and the scents, are forever etched in my memory. In those mountains, in a place called Prodromos, reached by some terrifying corkscrew roads, there were apple orchards and forests of fir, little waterfalls and streams so cold that bottles of soda were put in them to chill, and so clear and pure that you could drink all you wanted.

Many years later, in northern Spain, I was hit with a scent that took me all the way back to the Berengaria. Another pathway flanked by identical lavender bushes. I helped myself to some of the flowers and put them in my pocket to take home with me, a little piece of memory, sweet moments in an otherwise dismal childhood. Those are the moments I want to remember.

Today, I bought a little lavender plant. It's already fragrant and lovely, a little different from the Mediterranean lavender, perhaps not as intense.

5 comments:

  1. I can relate to this...lavender is everywhere in the south of france, and that perfume stirs deeply...they say it has the power to relax , breath in and enjoy calm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous! I can smell the lavender! We don't have it here like in the South of France, but I have pots of it (and was relieved to arrive home from Savannah today to find my husband didn't neglect them). :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmmmmmm...thank you for this lovely blog that took me away.........-S.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous1:23 p.m.

    You conjured up that sweet smell in my mind with your wonderful words. Lavender is a deeply favored fragrance for me. How I would love to journey to a place where the air was filled with that aroma.

    Lovely story my dear friend.

    lauren

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous1:24 p.m.

    Hello, this is a very touching story for Berengaria Hotel, actually. I am a cypriot guy and I am doing researches for the hotel with the hope to find a lot of information and publish something about that legend that unfortunately today is ready to fall down. That's why i am in a hurry. I don't use this site and i would like to exchange emails if it's possible... I need your help. Thank you so much. I am waiting for your email.

    Best regards,
    Andreas
    andreouan@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. I really appreciate each and every one of you.