Pages

Sunday, April 19, 2009

Weekend update

[new work now on eBay]

There are times when I fully understand the term "starving artist": it's not a term that I like but I fully appreciate that it happens. It's a test, I think. It's when you continue making art even though you have to count your pennies and do without, and do everything you can to keep body and soul together so you can continue creating. This is when you know, without a doubt, that you are doing what you're meant to be doing.

And so I continue to create.

It helps, of course, to have people who pull you up, like my friend Lisa who gave me a much-needed pep talk (thanks, Coach). And my close friend Marina, who is such a good and honest friend that she truly moves me. And then, those who are in other countries, like my sister (my staunch ally), and Sandra, who in her lilting Welsh voice lifts my spirits.

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:21 a.m.

    ....don't give up Colette...that thread is stonger than you think!...it will all come together in the end...keep creating!!!

    YOU ARE THE CREATOR!!! (well apart from God that is)!

    Anon the Elder....OOOOO

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are all glad that you continue to make art, the world is a prettier place with your creations in it! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely understand the starving artist thing. I supported myself and Lauren as an artist for many years. We lived on Kraft dinner and tomato soup, and shopped at Goodwill for clothes, books and furniture. It's a hard life, but sometimes I miss it. I was meant to create, and now I am just creating in a different way....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please don't stop creating! I love your work.
    Have been feeling discouraged myself,too.
    Take care-

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's difficult when in the process of creating - and earning a living at the same time. Not having a steady paycheck can be scary, I know from experience. But I am sure with your talent that such days will be few and far between. xoxox

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. I really appreciate each and every one of you.