Pages

Saturday, April 05, 2008

Bon weekend

I came across this statement on an art website: "...of course, trying something new is very scary."

My immediate reaction was, "No, it's not. It's exciting!"

I thought some more about the statement, trying to be fair. But, really, I just couldn't see scaring people off with that kind of statement. If it were me writing for the beginner artist, I would say: Trying something new is exciting. You're on the threshold of opening a brand new world for yourself, perhaps hours of sheer joy. Plunge in! If your first attempt doesn't work, and sometime it won't, what have you lost? A piece of paper, a little paint. Keep going. Do it again. Remember it takes practice, and you have nothing to lose but that piece of paper and a little paint.

3 comments:

  1. Maybe some people are scared to get excited?

    Cheers,
    Sophie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2:10 p.m.

    I love your attitude towards "new" - and I totally agree! If you always stick to the old and well known you´ll end up with a very narrow horizon...

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is why you are an artist and others are not. For some of us, trying something new, something artistic, is scary. We need that acknowledgement first, then the reassurance of excitement afterward. You would write to appeal to incipient "artists". Others of us (of the 'scary' school) would be writing for those who never thought of themselves as artists.

    Your sign-in is too demanding. You may never receive this commment, because your sign-in demands more than I can provide. Sorry -- but your own carrier is at fault....

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. I really appreciate each and every one of you.